Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Nun in the Cellar

It was raining so I put on a hooded jacket and a beanie--I fixed the beanie on my head like Enrique Iglesias does--then I turned off the lights and lied down again.  The grey light sifted through my shades into my room.

My homie started banging on the window and yelling to let him in.  I cooly walked to the door that led into my room from outside and said what's up and let him.

"Hey man, I know this big ass Catholic church we can sneak into right now and there's no one there and I know where they keep all the money--let's go rob that shit!"

"No no no.  I ain't robbing shit.  I'll go with you if you want, but I don't want to rob shit tonight.  I'm not in the mood."  I lied back down and stared at the wall and enjoyed the fact that it was raining outside.  I breathed in real deep.

"Ok, well, fuck it.  Let's go!"

I got up, and we went out, and I locked my door.  I felt like horsing around, so I danced around as we walked to the empty church.  It was behind some broken down and abandoned buildings, mostly where bums hung out.

"Shit man," I said, "You should have told me there were bums over here!  I would have come even more than I did come!  I would have been here more than I'm here right now!  But I'm super here now!"  I ran over to one of the bums and shoved her, "Hey!  Tell me something crazy!"

I turned around and saw my good friend walking around to the back of the church, so I left the bum, "I'll be back for you!  You better have some good bum stories for me when I get back!  I'll give you a sandwich!"

I ran over to behind the church just in time to see my friend throw an awesome, big, dark orange brick through a stained glass window.  SMASH!  I picked up a stick and cleared all the jagged glass still left on the frame of the window and we climbed in.  Once inside the church, we high-fived each other.

"This way!" My buddy whispered super fucking loud.

Down some awesome stone stairs we went, and there were candles everywhere lit.

"Why there candles lit, if no one here, dude?"

"Just shut up, dude.  We'll get the money, and we'll get the fuck out of here, and we can pay rent for like three more months!"

"Whatever."  I stuck my hands in my pockets and enjoyed the fact that it was grey and raining outside.  I thought about it as we slowly walked and carefully walked down the stone stairway steps.  I became a poet.

Rain.
Why do I love thee much?
Pain.
Does thou inflict it much?
Not me.
Bring me grey happiness.
Be-ing.
Three, me you do so bless.

We reached the bottom--it must have been the basement of the church or something cool.  My buddy was right in front of me, and then WHACK!  A stick came out nowhere and hit my stupid buddy right in the face and down he went.

"Wow!  You got hit!"

"Let's go!"  My good friend ran away, but I stayed; I stared; I liked the golden light that lit this bottom floor.  A feeble drunk voice spoke to me.

"Are you going to run too?"

"Are you going to smack me too?"

A pause.

"No.  I'm not going to whack you."

"There is so much wine down here.  You sound drunk."

"Mmmmmmmmmm.  I AM drunk.  I think I'll stay this way, but you cannot have the money of the church."

"I don't want the money.  Can I have some wine?  Are you a nun?"

"Good.  Yes, and yes."

"You're a drunken old nun!"

This old nun was wearing the whole nun get-up.  It was great.  She walked over, grabbed a bottle of wine for me, and one for her, and we walked over to some corner of the wine cellar.  We slouched down to the floor and sat on the floor with our legs out in front of us.  We became old drinking buddies within a couple seconds.

"This is great isn't it?"

"Sure it is."

"This wine is great madam nun."

She put her hand frailly on my shoulder; she looked at me gravely; she looked right into mine eyes; the buzz was getting on in my brain; I looked at her; she was old as hell; she had maintained her beauty very well.

A pause... "Well?  Are you gonna tell me something?"  I laughed.

"Because it is literally the blood of Christ, this wine is great."  Her eyes widened, and she nodded at me as if to say, "It's TRUE!"  Her mouth opened a little too.

I laughed, "Hey!  You're drunk!"  And I slapped her back kind of hard.

She laughed good and long, and I did too.

"I AM drunk!  Jesus makes me drunk, sometimes."

"Me sometimes too."


No comments:

Post a Comment